Saturday, May 22, 2010

Famous legends about Basil

Many famous legends are associated with holy basil making it an ‘as-mystic’ herb as it is beneficial. the extent of these stories on this particular herb simply goes on to further prove that it enjoyed a position of prestige and importance in the medicinal world. While we still do not know, why so much folklore came to be associated with this specific herb, we bring you a few of the best spun tales.

Various legends abound regarding the beheading of John the Baptist. As per one popular story, Salom is known to have hid the head of John the Baptist in a pot of basil leaves to prevent the smell of decomposition.

In a tale similar as the above, Elizabeth the heroine of Bocace is also known to have buried her lover’s head in a pot of basil, and have watered it with her tears every day.

Many stories are popular in India where Tulasi or holy basil is considered to represent Lord Vishnu and his wife Lakshmi. The plant is considered to be the deity of women, who worship it everyday.

As per one Indian tale, Tulsi was actually the incarnation of a beautiful princess who fell in love with Lord Krishna. However she was cursed by Krishna’s consort Radha, and thus took the form of this plant.

In another Indian legend, Krishna was once weighed in gold. Even though plenty of gold was placed in the scale, it could not match the weight of Krishna. It was only when a leaf of Tulsi was placed along with the gold that the weight of Krishna could be matched.

As opposed to India which considers basil to be holy, many places also consider this to be evil or a symbol of Satan. This was prominent in Old Europe. Many Greeks and Romans of ancient times believed that basil would grow well if you scream wild curses and shouted loudly while sowing the seeds. This is where the French term semer le baslic (sowing basil) evolved from and it means to rave and rant about something.

Another folklore of Old Europe goes that if a leaf of basil is left under a pot it would convert into a scorpion overnight. Some believed that smelling basil leaves could cause scorpions to grow in the brain.

In ancient Rome, the term Basil is noted to have evolved from Basilescus, or the Basilisk, which referred to a fire-breathing dragon.

Even for Greeks the word Basil meant royal or kingly. In fact in Greece, it was believed that only the king should plant this herb and use only a golden sickle to harvest it.

In other cultures, placing a pot of basil on the balcony was a sure sign that the lady was ready to receive a suitor.

Much more folklore, legends and myths surround this herb than given here. All in all, it is interesting to note that different cultures have responded to it differently. Either they have loved it, hated it or feared it. This can only be possible, if a herb has medical potential, and needless to say, Holy Basil has that power.

1 comment:

  1. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lun,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete