Monday, May 24, 2010

Home remedies with holy basil

Ocimum tenuiflorum holds the promise of many home remedies. Used for coughs, colds, fevers, this herb is known as the queen of Ayurvedic medicine for its rich properties. Breathing the air around a tulasi plant is considered to have health benefits too, this being the prime reason why most Hindu homes have Tulasi plants in the courtyard. While this is supposed to improve general health, we list the ten popular home remedies with this leaf.

Remedy 1: Cure for Cough and Cold

Many herbal cough syrups and expectorants often use Tulsi as a component because of its excellent expectorant properties. A decoction of the leaves is prepared by boiling few leaves in water. This is taken with ginger and honey for relief from cough and cold. Five to ten leaves of Tulasi are soaked and left in hot water for a few minutes. Drinking this water eight to ten times a day can help improve the patient’s condition.

Remedy 2: Soothing Sore throats

Because of its excellent anti-bacterial and expectorant properties, sore throats are often cured easily with Tulsi. A decoction of holy basil is prepared by boiling basil leaves in some water. This decoction can be taken as a drink to soothe the throat. A gargle of the decoction of these leaves is often recommended.

Remedy 3: Fighting Fever

In the rainy seasons, when fevers are prevalent, tender leaves of Tulsi are used in tea as a preventive against malaria and dengue fevers. The leaves are also beneficial in treating fevers in children. Juice from a few basil leaves is extracted and taken with ginger or honey. This juice can be taken twice a day.

Remedy 4: Ingenious against Insect bites

Yes, basil is known to be a prophylactic and is thus both preventive and curative for insect bites or stings. Fresh juice from basil leaves is applied to affected parts. A teaspoon of the juice is also taken every few hours. Few herbalists also recommend applying a paste of its fresh roots in case of bites from leeches.

Remedy 5: Treasure for Teeth

Holy basil is useful in protecting teeth and curing various cases of teeth disorders also. The leaves of basil are dried in the sun and powdered. This powder is then used for brushing teeth. This works in an excellent manner for maintenance of dental health, controlling bad breath, and giving a good gum massage.

Remedy 6: Highly useful for headaches

Due to its pain reducing ability, basil is useful for curing headaches too. Decoction of the leaves can be used for the purpose. Local application of a paste of basil leaves along with sandalwood powder can also give relief from headaches caused due to heat.

Remedy 7: Sweet on the Skin

Basil can also cure various skin disorders and give relief from rashes or other skin diseases. Some naturopaths have also reported success in treating cases of leucoderma with the help of this plant. Ringworm is another condition where patients are known to benefit from this plant.

Remedy 8: Herb for the Heart

The herb has various benefits and is proven to be good for the heart too. It is noted to help during cardiac disease and reduce the weakness. It is also seen to reduce levels of blood cholesterol. It is also a good blood purifier.

Remedy 9: Something for stress

Basil is known to be an excellent adaptogen, that provides the components required for patients to combat stress. Healthy persons are recommended to chew approximately ten basil leaves a day to reduce stress.

Remedy 10: Kind on Kidneys

Finally, basil is known to strengthen kidneys. It is also useful in curing renal stones. In such cases patients need to take the juice of basil leaves along with honey. This has to be taken over a regular period of time to have effect.

Basil has been in use since many centuries, and continues to occupy a prime position in the world of herbal medicines. It has many curative properties, some known while many others still under experimentation. The herb offers a natural holistic cure and many can benefit from its properties. However the advice from an expert naturopath or herbalist is vital.

1 comment:

  1. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lun,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete